Ana içeriğe atla

Horizon Zero Dawn Review

After delaying my thesis for a year, I decided to play a game as a final escape. I was originally planning to play The Last of Us, but it turned out to be disappointing. Then I thought about playing the Star Wars game, and that also didn't work out. So, I decided to start playing this game until those others get fixed, and I have just finished it as of now. My feelings are a bit mixed, and since I messed up my sleep schedule, I also need to stay awake. So, let me pour out my thoughts about the game.

1. Story (Spoilers ahead)

Horizon Zero Dawn presents an apocalyptic scenario. As soon as you enter the game, everyone is stuck with bows and spears, while giant machines roam around. Something has happened, but you wonder what it is. However, the main story of the game is very predictable. If you have seen any other production with an apocalyptic scenario, this game's story won't surprise you. But strangely enough, the main story flows well. Even if you know what will happen, it doesn't get boring. I found myself following the events and how they unfolded. But if you ask me how much I enjoyed it, I would say it's average. I didn't derive much pleasure or feel frustrated from the main story. I guess I can say it's enough since the game's side quests are so bad that this situation seems good to you.

One of the problems in the game is the character motivations. In the game's world, humanity has been wiped out, and a new civilization has been established with no knowledge of the past. Most people worship the machines, thinking they are divine. Our character doesn't bother to explain anything. It's consistent within its own context, but it never transfers to you. The game lacks a compelling narrative and engaging storyline because both the characters and the plot are ordinary. The only thing I enjoyed in the game was following the mystery of how the disaster happened, and that is the main thing that shapes the overall story. Well, you roughly know what will happen, but you still flow through those gaps somehow. I don't know, I felt like they rushed it throughout the game. Many times, I found myself thinking, "Why are you bothering me?" It's the first time I didn't complete the task of helping sick children. I can express how bored I was through that.

By the way, they could have made the final battle with the main human antagonist much better. I didn't even realize it was a boss fight in the first few minutes. I killed him without much effort. Thankfully, the final battle with the machine adds some challenge and saves the situation. The main antagonist of the game is also dull.

The side quests mostly have stories like "Oh, this thing is lost, find it" or "Oh, go kill these enemies." Okay, I understand that this is a game, and the main purpose in game stories is usually that. Quests eventually connect to that, but the written stories are so boring. Normally, I want to learn about the world, get to know the NPC who gives the quest, learn what they have experienced, and what has happened here, etc. And this game made me skip through conversations all the time. The thing I liked most about the side quests was this: there's a girl and a soldier's child secretly meeting each other. The child dies. Then we return, the mission is over. I told the father to take care of the girl. Okay, the mission is done. I thought they would say something. They had a conversation, and it touched me. That was what I liked the most.

There's already a serious character problem in the game. Nobody has a proper character in the game. Even the girl we control is as ordinary and boring as possible. I'm trying to connect with the characters, but they're basically telling me, "Dude, we're so boring, don't bother." Okay, I understand that you're all dull, but doesn't anyone in this vast world have something interesting happening? No, they don't.

In summary, the side quests are unplayable. The main story is also unplayable, but at least it keeps you engaged in the game. And they've added some fancy side quests as if they're important for the main quest. The final boss fight was at level 34, and when I reached there, I was only around level 28. They included terrible side quests. Are you kidding me, just defeating the final boss and finishing the game? If you had added fun things, I would have done them, idiots. Luckily, leveling up is easy in the game, so there's no problem in that regard. I completed two quests and left (not because of the quests but because the monsters in the quests gave good XP, so I leveled up easily). If it weren't for this, there's no way I would have completed the final quest. I didn't finish AC Odyssey for the same reason. I'm glad this didn't give me a hard time and I finished it quickly.

2. Graphics

The graphics are quite good. It was one of the best-looking games when it was released. No need to drag it out. The game looks good. However, it doesn't have exceptional art design. It's similar to Ubisoft's open-world games. Meadows, grass, mountains, and such. But what is visible looks good.

3. Gameplay

Now let's talk about the tasty part, or so I would like to say, but it's not exactly like that. Let me give you an example. You have a favorite dessert. One day, you see it a lot at home and you eat a lot of it. Because you eat too much, you start feeling nauseous. Well, that's exactly how the gameplay of this game is.

The gameplay is good, but it becomes so repetitive, oh my God, really. In the game, you have a lot of equipment, but overall, it's a game where you fight with a bow from a distance. As you progress, you can acquire weapons like slingshots, rope tethering, electric weapons, and weapons that can explode enemy weak points, providing a variety of gameplay options. There are plenty of options for long-range combat. You also have a spear for close combat. However, it's evident that the game wasn't designed for melee combat. There isn't even a lock-on option for enemies. Nevertheless, I frequently used melee combat because it was practical. Performing two heavy attacks and throwing an enemy to the ground gave a satisfying feeling.

But when it came to using the weapon that severed the enemy's weak point, my interest in close combat started to diminish. The game also started to become incredibly easy at that point.

I say weak point, but what is this weak point? You can't just attack the machines in the game randomly. After all, they're not made of flesh. And you primarily use arrows. To attack enemies, you need to scan them with the focus in your ear and identify their weak points. Then, you should attack those areas. It sounds like a fantastic idea. And it is fantastic, BUTTTTTT.

Who on earth came up with the idea of giving machines so much health? The fights become so long that you start getting bored. And it becomes repetitive. Cutting down the same monster over and over again. And when the fights become quite long, I got bored straight away. At some point, I didn't even bother fighting enemies in the open world. I just ran past them. The game managed to ruin even the enjoyable aspect. Well, what happens when a new enemy appears? You get excited. However, the game throws a million of them at you, and it becomes boring again. It's nothing but laziness.

Boss fights are generally just beefed-up versions or larger versions of things you have already fought in the open world. I had a hard time recognizing most of the boss fights as actual boss fights. The lack of a long health bar indicating the boss's health is not the reason for my struggle. When you see the same enemy, you don't think "boss."

It could have been implemented very well, but it turned out to be a disappointment. It's not boring, definitely, and it was even thoughtfully designed, but it falls short due to the lack of enemy variety.

By the way, your approach to attacking humans and machines differs. It's a nice touch, of course, but humans are boring. Fighting humans is so dull. Even if they don't exist, it wouldn't make much of a difference, let me put it that way. I understand the machines, but even when human enemies get hit by arrows, they don't react properly. Even if you keep shooting at them, they don't really have a reaction. Potatoes. The game knows this, so it keeps sending waves of human enemies. It doesn't send machines in such large numbers, but the problem with that is this: their health is relatively high. We keep doing the same things over and over again.

4. Open World

To put it simply, it's a very generic open world. They've directly copied the Ubisoft formula. Climb up tall places, blow up enemy camps, etc. There are so many missions, as usual, in every open world. When I opened the map, it was filled with markers everywhere. I felt overwhelmed, to be honest. And I couldn't find anything enjoyable about the activities in the game. For those who enjoy these types of things, it will be a paradise. The side quests are already mediocre, and the activities are even worse. I can't say that they reward you well either; I did one side quest and gave up. Maybe they give unique items later on, but even that's not the case because the most powerful armor in the game is obtained from a side quest. After accidentally getting that, I thought, why should I bother with side quests? They don't even feel engaging. The NPCs are lifeless. They tried to be like Ubisoft and The Witcher, but failed at both.

5. Crafting

I'm so tired, but I have to criticize this. Which man decided to tie fast travel to crafting? Are you out of your mind? They practically force the player to gather flowers and hunt animals in the open world. Look at what you have to do for a goddamn fast travel. Should I aimlessly walk around, you son of a bitch? It also hindered the game's pacing. I can understand some things, but fast travel? If they didn't put so many of them, then maybe... If they had just put a few. And we even have to acquire our own mount. In the game, you can ride machines, but you have to find your own and then override it for a mere 5 seconds of silent travel. Let's say you put 10 fast travels, and put them close to the machine's camps. The player mounts it, goes, but it should allow looting while on the mount. Because it doesn't, the mount becomes boring because you have to constantly dismount to gather meat, bones, etc. Even to buy a weapon, you need to gather rabbit bones.

Conclusion

Anyway, The game is an average open-world action game. I can't call it an RPG because we don't influence anything in the game. The skill tree is also quite bad. Even if it's labeled as an RPG, I won't say it out of respect for true RPGs. If they had avoided repetition in enemies and provided compelling stories, it could have been a really good game. As it stands now, I would rate it 5.6-6/10.

Yorumlar